Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Beginning Corn Harvest 2015...

Boy oh boy, has the weather sure changed in the past few days!

Last week we were shrouded in gray clouds, with soaking rain.  We weren't sure what would happen with Joaquin.  I didn't realize just how much my mood is affected by the weather, but over the weekend I was feeling a little bit depressed.  Too much gray and rain, I guess.

Thankfully, the hurricane went out to sea, and on Sunday afternoon the rain stopped, and the sun came out!  We've had beautiful blue skies, and milder temps yesterday and today. Flannel shirt weather, yes, but it's so much nicer than shivering under blankets.

Last night our corn harvest began.  After evening milking, the combine started shelling corn at the other farm.  When Jenna and I came home from her violin lesson later in the evening, they had moved to Esbenshades.  I settled in on the sofa with my kindle and Monday night football...and before long I heard the equipment moving in here.  I only got one picture from last night...from an upstairs bedroom window, because I was too lazy to go outside and walk down the road to where the action was.

Don't get too excited...you can't see much, but the lights on the left are on the combine...the ones in the middle are from the tractor and grain cart...and the grain truck is parked along the road on the right.  There's no missing him...


This field is where they stopped around 10:00 last night. We shell our corn and send it away to be dried, toasted and stored until we need it.  If the moisture in the corn is too high, we are charged a fee for drying. As it turned out, the moisture of the corn in the fields here at home was too high to make it worth continuing for now.  We'll let it dry a bit longer before finishing up. The yields were great, though.  One field at Esbenshade's showed a yield of 230 bushels per acre!

This morning I took a few pictures.  I like this view down the rows of the corn field that you don't usually see...


So happy to see this beautiful blue sky again!


At least this field along the road is finished.  It was hard to see pulling out from the stop sign with the corn still standing.  Next on the list is getting these corn stalks shredded, and baling corn fodder...


We could use a long stretch of dry weather now!


8 comments:

  1. Love that view of the corn rows! I was riding with Steve in the combine last night and had the same view and wished I would have taken a picture of it. Maybe I will just use yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoping it dries up so you can continue with good results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you some long, dry days. I'm like you, I can get a bit grumpy when the weather is wet and windy for too long. And nothing cheers me like blue skies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it drys up now for you . I to get down in the dumps in gloomy weather . I love photographing corn fields to . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmers sure don't know how to work an eight hour day. No rest even in the crops are in, especially if there is a herd of dairy cattle to care for EVERY single day. Hope the weather cooperates with that corn harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea for sunny days and corn harvest! I hope this years harvest goes well for you and the yields continue to be awesome.

    I'm with you on the rainy gray days, Alicia. I love the moister and know we need it for the land, pastures, crops and livestock. I don't mind a day in the kitchen or a morning to slow down, but extended lack of sun affects me too.

    What are you reading on the Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim got me my Kindle Fire for Christmas last year, and I've been downloading books from our local library as often as I can! Mostly Christian fiction...one of my favorite authors right now is Dee Henderson.

      Delete
  7. I hope you get the dry weather!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!