Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Apple Snitz Pie...

A week or so ago, on a Saturday afternoon, we were just getting ready to head out to the barn for milking, when Jake came strolling across the yard.

Jake is one of our Amish neighbors...and he didn't come empty handed...


Before you wonder...no...he didn't bring us a half eaten pie!  It just didn't take us long to devour eat it.

This is an Apple Snitz pie...usually just referred to as a Snitz pie around here. It's a pie that the Amish make often, and this one came our way because Jake's son was hosting Church at his house the next day.  When you host Church, you also provide lunch, and this is a staple at this meal.

I've never made one of these, but they're quite good.  The filling tastes kind of like apple butter.  Here's a recipe that I found...

APPLE SNITZ PIE

2 cups dried apples (snitz)
1 1/2  cups warm water
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Soak apples in water overnight.
Cook apples in the water they were soaked in.
When soft, mash the apples and add the sugar, cinnamon and cloves
Pour mixture into an unbaked pie shell.
Cover with second crust and seal edges, cutting several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake at 425 * for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat and bake at 370 * for 35 more minutes.

Makes one 9" pie

Have you ever tasted one of these?


I'm trying something new...and linking to Alphabe-Thursday.



23 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely yummy! Do they ever add other fruit such as raisins and/or dried plums? We have dried apples and a LOT of dried plums. It sounds like you have outstanding neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leenie...I don't think they add dried raisins to this particular one, but Raisin pies are quite common here...and quite good too! And you're absolutely right...we have wonderful neighbors!

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm! Sounds like a good dessert for a cool fall evening - maybe warmed and served with a little whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks YUMMY ! Thanks for sharing the recipe . Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... what a thoughtful gesture.
    I've never tried anything like it, I think it does look yummy.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice picture, I love your delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try a slice of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that looks and sounds delicious I have wonderful neighbours like that where I live too and that is the best feeling in the world. I cannot imagine them bringing a half eaten pie but I still would have hugged them and taken it:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great shot and wonderful neighbor ~ wish I lived near the Amish and you ~ thanks, carol, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A new apple recipe for me. Neat A words here with Amish and Apple. Thanks for the recipe.
    Visiting from Alphabe~Thursday!
    Sue CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be a cake for me ! not to bake but to eat !

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds absolutely divine! I think I'd like a neighbor to deliver something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandmother used to make those! I love your blog, I grew up around dairy farming in NE PA, so it brings back a lot of memories...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alica, Keith's family came from the Amish (Yoder). We actually bought a snitz pie from an Amish lady on our way up to Iowa one day to see his family. We had it the next day at breakfast, and it is still a family joke that it was "the apple pie with no apples!". As his dad said, it would have been better with apples! We still laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm! We have Mennonite neighbors here. Lots of Mennonites have moved into our area and even opened business. I always shop at their bakery (the whole experience is just lovely) and I shop at the their grocery store. They have become good friends and the food...YUMMM!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will try this, because I love apple butter! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds wonderful! And I just happen to have a lot of dried apples this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never had one, but the name is fun, so I might try the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds yummy by the recipe, and that photo is making me drool... lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of it but it looks good and the recipe is simple. Just my sort of baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pie looks and sounds delicious. Make another and I'll be right over. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I lived for quite a few years in NE Ohio and this amazing pastry brought back some memories.

    I haven't had one in years.

    If I can squeeze time in, I might make one for Thanksgiving !

    Thank you for linking and I hope your Thanksgiving is peaceful and snitz-filled!

    (ha!)

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  22. If anyone knows what apples are better for drying for this I have a dehydrator and have tried making it before think I bought the wrong kind just didn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!