Sunday, May 13, 2012

How Fast Does Corn Grow?...

It doesn't always happen this way, but the conditions this year for planting corn have been just about perfect!

Day 1
April 30, 2012 - Corn is planted...


Day 10
May 9, 2012 - Corn is just peeping through...I had to use the zoom on my camera in order for you to see it...


Day11
May 10, 2012 - Corn rows can be seen, but I still had to use the zoom for it to show up on the picture...
.

Day 12
May 11, 2012 - Corn rows can now be seen easily without using the zoom...


 This year has been just about perfect...we have been blessed!

(Too much rain, along with cold weather can cause the seed to rot before it sprouts, and rain followed by a hot, dry spell can form a crust on the ground which doesn't allow the tiny corn plant to push through the soil.)


It's been said that you can hear corn grow.  I've never tried it, but I can believe it.  Two months from now, this corn should be higher than my head!  With the rain we're to get in the next few days, along with warmer temps, it should start growing in leaps and bounds!



7 comments:

  1. It's always nice when farmers get good crop growing weather!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So glad things are all working so well for your corn crop. I'm wishing the best weather for you and all farmers for the rest of the season.

    As for hearing corn grow I swear I've heard weird but subtle squeaking sounds coming from our sweet corn patch in our garden on hot August days. But that might have just been our cat stretching while doing a downward dog or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered if that were true. I know that on hot days, my pine tree sounds like a popcorn popper. The pinecones are popping open.
    It would be interesting to see.
    I am glad that this year is a perfect year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how quickly it grows! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can hear it grow but I can hear grass grow too. Glad you had perfect planting weather. I cannot wait to see it over your head. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. The corn fields around here are about in the same stage. I think the farmers got it in early this year. It makes me wish I gotten my sweet corn in earlier (I planted the earliest sweet corn this week--no green showing yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alicia,
    I'm here from Buttons blog. I'm sorry about your kitty, I hope her passing is peaceful. It is so hard to lose a pet.
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!