Monday, July 9, 2018

Susquehannock State Park...

Yesterday afternoon, on a beautiful day, one of my "oldest"  (tee-hee) friends and I took an afternoon excursion to Susquehannock State Park.  It's a beautiful park/overlook close to where I grew up in the southern end of Lancaster County.

Disclaimer...rant ahead...

The "southern end" has lots of gems that people who live in the central or northern end of the county have never been to.  I remember as a teenager, many people would say I lived in the "boondox" or "way down there", so far away.  But they didn't know what they were missing.  Ok, enough of my rant...  :)

A bit of background...the Susquehanna River is the longest river on the east coast, and flows through Pennsylvania, draining into the Chesapeake Bay, and then the Atlantic Ocean.

Looking south, if you enlarge the photo you can see the Peach Bottom Nuclear Power Plant on the west (right) side of the river...


looking north...


You can see Peach Bottom more clearly on this picture.  There were lots of boaters and jet skiiers enjoying the water yesterday...


We took a short "hike" ...


...to another overlook where we could see the Holtwood Hydroelectric Plant below us.  In the distance to the north is the Norman Wood Bridge, which crosses the river to York County...




The wineberries were beginning to ripen...


My friend Sue and I...


She and I grew up together  and I'm glad we've been able to keep in touch.  She's a rockin' school teacher!  I used to always remind her when we were kids, that I was "older" than her.  A whopping 4 months older, but I was a year ahead of her in school because of when our birthdays fell in the year.  Now I'm reminded that I really am older.  Ha!  Love ya, Sue!

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a really pretty spot to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lovely day with my lovely "older" friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think it is a beautiful place. What fun and you got to go with your friend. That is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a beautiful place and hey, there is nothing like the boondocks. I currently live there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that place is amazing. It is nice to have younger friends. Thanks for taking me along. Hugs B

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!