Saturday, July 7, 2018

How the Garden Grows...

We're in a lull between hay cuttings, so I thought I'd do a post on something non farm related that's growing here.  Warning...it's a little picture heavy, but I just love seeing things grow, so I won't be offended if you breeze through quickly!  :)


I seem to be having another good tomato year.  Those plants in the middle have taken off after a poor start, surviving ten days straight of rain.  There are green tomatoes galore.  The cucumbers in the foreground are doing the same!  I put them in a cage so that they can climb up instead of sprawling out, and as a result I get straight cucumbers, rather than curly ones...


Can you find the cucumber?  It's well camouflaged.  I plant Burpless #26.  The cucumbers are long, thin and straight, and have few seeds...



I haven't grown patty pan squash for a couple of years.  This plant survived the wet weather and being nibbled on by a ground hog early on...


Sweet Heat peppers are a new addition this year.  I'll use them in my salsa.  They came in a 4-pack, so if anyone local wants some, let me know!!


Sweet Baby Girl...my favorite cherry tomato ever!  It's almost as tall as my head!


 So far so good with the zucchini, too.  I know that one morning I'll go out and it will be totally wilted, but for now we're enjoying the bounty...


I had several extra railroad ties when I lined the garden a year or so ago, so I made a small area where I like to plant sunflowers.  I have a lot of volunteers in the garden, but this patch was planted from a variety pack. I'm curious to see what all colors I have?  There's a good variety of sizes...


Speaking of volunteers...a bunch of dill came up along the south edge of the garden, so I left it grow.  I had to pick some caterpillars off of it early on, and now it's enjoying life...


Last but not least, there's a row of zinnias for picking along the edge as well.  Such cheery little flowers they are!


How does your garden grow?

6 comments:

  1. Your garden is so lush! It is nice to have a row of zinnias - do you bring them in the house? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jenn, I do...when I remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the garden shots! Might do one too next week as everything is thriving this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing all your vegetable plants growing so healthy, I am inspired to grow some too! You have green fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of your garden. Randy brought some tomatoes home from a stand in Stafford on Saturday night, and we've had BLTs twice and we had tomatoes on our grilled hamburgers at lunch. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks incredible and I can almost taste the things to come. I would be hauling a lot of water for a garden here right now. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!