Thursday, February 15, 2018

Roof Repairs...

Maybe you've wondered what farmers do in the winter time when the field work is finished?  Besides milking, feeding and daily chores?

They take long afternoon naps, vacation in the Carribean and eat bonbons, of course!

Riiiiiiiiiiigggghht...

It's a good time to catch up on repairs on equipment or buildings, especially when you have temps in the 60's and sunshine like today!

This past summer, my parents moved into the house across the road from us. (Oops! I just realized that I never did a blog post of "after"pictures like I promised!  Click here if you want to see some of the pictures of the work in progress on their house. I'll try to do a post soon of the finished project!)
Anyway...my Dad recently discovered where some water was getting under the roof on the screened in porch and damaging some wood. 

Jim inspected it yesterday and gathered some materials.  This afternoon he's been working on the repairs...



It's convenient that Jim worked for a roofer after high school and learned some roofing skills...


I climbed up and "helped" for a little bit, but really wasn't needed, so I skipped out and went to visit our neighbor lady who just had a hip replaced on Monday.

My Dad would love to be up on that roof with Jim, but was content to watch from below...


Jim's been working all afternoon, and the forecast rain has held off.  Hopefully he'll get finished before it starts!  There will be more wintertime projects to come, I'm sure, and before we know it spring will be here!

8 comments:

  1. You could send any unneeded rain our way! We haven't had any at all since October. We would gladly have sloppy cattle lots for some rain. Our wheat sure needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have no snow and it looks like spring. We are having spring like weather with the snow melting but we still have mountains of snow on the ground. We had so many snow storms this winter.

    I know spring is just around the corner.

    Roofing is a great skill to have. I'm sure your parents are feeling lucky to have your husband to repair their roof.

    Take care and enjoy your spring weather.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are lucky, you and I, to have men who can do just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky hubby has Dad to supervise - that's what Mr Shoes says whenever my Dad visits. Funny, my Dad always says he is 'supervising My Boy' about my 58 year old hubby who is pretty much Red Green in a better looking package. Their dynamic is pretty sound.
    In this part of the world, we are also pushing snow still. You know, in between the naps & the bonbons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that would be handy to have those skills. I didn't realize your parents moved across the road. How nice. That looks like a very nice place to live. I enjoyed your pictures when you were working on the house. I would like to see the finish of course. I always feel that way about winter, I feel like we run to get caught up on everything before it finally does turn into summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am astounded that you don't have snow. It is good to nip problems like the roof in the bud. The faster you get on top of it the less damage done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We awoke to an ice storm this morning! I am so glad Jim is able to lay his hand at so many projects, what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice weather and the perfect time for you to do that kind of work.Love that your parents live in your well looked after house. I am sure it is the best. Hugs B Could you please change my link on your sidebar Thank you.
    https://buttonsthoughts.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!