Saturday, September 6, 2014

Three Weeks Later...

It's been three weeks since I last wrote a blog post, and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

...a lot of weeds have grown tall and strong.  (no pictures...it's too embarrassing!)

...the kids have started school.  We have a senior and a sophomore this year and they're both off to a great start in their cross country season.  I was able to get to their first meet on Wednesday.  Such a fun sport, and a great bunch of kids/parents to hang out with.

...the weather cooperated, and Jim was able to get all of 4th cutting hay baled into dry bales.  That's the first time in a long while that he hasn't baled some of it into high moisture round bales.  We're glad to have all the dry hay we can get.  We think it's better for the cows, and it's much easier to feed than balage.



...I turned another year older

...The corn has started to dry down.  Silo filling might begin this coming week, and that's good, because our silos are both almost completely empty!


...It's been a great year for crops around here.  We've had just the right amount of rain, and we couldn't have asked for a more pleasant summer, weather wise.  I think the past few days have been the most uncomfortable yet...but it's to cool off tomorrow...yay!

The beans look great, and are just beginning lose their deep green color.  Soon they'll turn yellow, and then brown...



Each day my back is feeling better, and hopefully I'll soon be back into the full swing of things.  I'm able to do what I need to take care of my family, but have to be really careful with lifting and twisting.  I've had to swallow my pride and allow others to do things for me/us.  Even though that is hard, we are so grateful for good friends and family who stepped in and cared for us!


14 comments:

  1. happy birthday to you, alica! glad you're doing better, too. so good to hear of a good crop season and good baling/harvesting weather, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see a post. I know it has been a very hard three weeks. I hope your back gets back to normal soon. I am so glad that it has been such a perfect summer in other way.
    It all looks so good. Glad you are back I have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday Alica, I'm glad your back is starting to heal. Your 4th cut of hay looks fantastic. Still some green grass with good nutrient.

    Good luck with the corn harvest, wishing you favorable weather.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. Hope it was a wonderful one. I saw that you tried to just sneak it in. he he we caught on anyway. Love your header at the top of the page! I have a very bad back too - maybe we should get together and commisserate! It's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so happy you are getting around better. Keep taking care of yourself and letting others. Everything looks good and life and work will go along without your help. Take care OK. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your back is better. I really enjoyed your post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely accept the help! Glad things are going well on the farm. I need to get my hay done again, but we've had rain nearly every day it seems like. Hope your fall is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you actually get 4 cuttings of hay down there!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...we actually get 5 cuttings from most fields, and two years ago we even got 6 cuttings from several fields! That was a first for us.

      Delete
  9. Glad your back is better. Hard to believe school is starting. It just stopped snowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, happy belated birthday!! Hope you were able to enjoy it :)
    Nice to read that your back is feeling somewhat better.

    Good to see all the hay put up. That's a nice accomplishment.
    Hay here, is at a premium price!!
    Just yesterday, a generational farm lost all of their hay, due to a barn fire.
    Of course the community will pull together, and replace their hay, and help them rebuild.

    Keep getting better, and best of luck to your kids this track season!

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear that you are up and about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alica, it's so good to hear you are feeling better, and that you had help for these last few weeks. Crops look great down here in NE Kansas, too... but I don't know if anyone got 4 cuttings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just over here nosing around...came first for Good fences...I sure hope your back fully recovers. It is scary to be unable to do your normal stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!