Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Another Long Overdue Winter Project...

It seems like the list of projects that need to be done never ends.

Am I alone in this?

I think not!  Especially when you live in an old farm house, the list never ends...it just gets longer.

I love the character of our house...the two big porches (both of which need work), the large eat in kitchen (we're pretty good there for now), the big windows (we've replaced them a few at a time over the past 20+ years and only have a few more to go) and among other things, the loooooonnnng hallway that runs the length of the house upstairs, with stairs going down at either end.

Said hallway is the focus of this winter project.

First, some history.  We are the third generation to own and live in this farm house.  Over fifty-one years ago, before Jim's parents moved to the farm, his grandparents had the upstairs hallway wallpapered.  The wallpaper was good quality paper, and required little attention paid to it for many years.


The white pattern is actually a textured design that feels kinda like felt when you run your fingers over it.

Over the past few years the paper began to loosen in spots and fall off.  It got put on the back burner because no one other than family typically goes upstairs.   Out of sight of of mind.  Kind of.

This is the winter that we decided something needed to be done, so...



Looks kinda like a war zone, doesn't it?


Over two thirds of the paper pulled right off easily, with very little effort.  The remainder just needed a little encouragement.  I used a garden sprayer with a mixture of warm water and vinegar to make it damp, and in two days all of the paper was gone!  Another day took care of the ceiling paper...



This section was done a bunch of years ago with help from my sister and our kids...


The glue residue has been washed off, and this week I've started spackling.

After that, the twelve doors, two window frames and all the woodwork need to be sanded and prepped for painting!  Thankfully, I have a friend who will lend me her mad skilz and motivation!

Wish me luck, and motivation to keep going!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a big job removing wallpaper from the wall especially in a staircase that goes up two stories high. I know because iI removed all the wallpaper from our house and did the washing and painting myself. I still have one half bath that has wall paper in it. I said never again will I wall paper the whole house...

    Good luck with your renovations Alica. It will feel so good once it's done.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, we have an old century plus home with a neglected upstairs hallway as well! We haven't tackled it because it will turn into a domino project, with the floor needing done, insulating, dropping the ceiling ... Good luck on your project and glad you are getting some help, too. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish I could come help you! We would have a blast visiting, sanding, and painting. I can't wait to see the finished product. Be careful on the ladders. Looks like you will have some tricky spots. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a project! I love older houses with some history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Nicely done. What a transformation already. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's just wonderful that you live in, and love, a multi-generational family home. Looking forward to the finished photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! My! I know how terribly hard that job was to do and to keep doing until you can paint! But Nicely done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a BIG project! Can't wait to see it when it's done. How do you spend all that quiet time when you paint? Listening to something? Thinking? :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!