Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Photo gallery from the past year...

It's that time of year...we're in our slow mode...and if I don't keep myself motivated, I can waste a lot of time! 

I'd like to think, though, that blogging is NOT a waste of time...so I've compiled a collection of pictures from the past year that I found interesting. 

 Some of them are directly related to farming, some of them are of family, and some of them are just beautiful scenery.  (Some may be repeats from earlier blog posts, but if you see them twice, you know I really like them!)

Enjoy!


2010 began with a bang!  In February we had two major snow storms a week apart, resulting in 40+ inches of snow...




Our neighbor's farm to the west always makes a great photo, no matter the weather...

Several years ago Jim bought a Honda 50 dirtbike like he rode when he was a kid.  Last winter he found a Honda 100, so now the kids each have a dirt bike to ride.  They use them for fun and for work...


Spring arrived, like always, and I was thrilled...



These particular chickens loved to sit on top of the fence around their pen...



Of course there was also work to do...my nephew from Chicago loved gathering eggs...


And Murphy blessed us with nine adorable puppies...but they wore her out!  They were born in June, during one of the hottest weeks of the year...


Our neighbor Joe came over every day to see them...



The laundry never ended...



Some beautiful scenes shot by Jenna...




And then of course there was some more work...baling round bales...Jim drove the tractor while the Amishman who owns the baler rode behind and operated the mechanism that released the bale into the field...




Fun...it doesn't take alot to be entertained...





We just can't seem to get away from those cows!   (photo by Jenna)



More "real" work...Eric unloading hay...



The east hay mow is almost full...


Jim's dad on his old (1950 something) Ferguson 30, just before he sold it...he used to use it for cleaning out pens...



After a dry summer, we had a LONG day of rain...over 8 inches of rain...(I forgot to empty the rain gauge before bed, so we aren't sure just how much we had, but it was a lot!)



We chopped corn the next day, and left no tracks in the field or mud on the driveway!  The ground was thirsty...



And there's our neighbors' farm again...taken out the west barn windows...




We found a little time to play...we spent an afternoon picnicking with friends at a park...


Fall work was upon us...combining corn, and loads of corn fodder waiting to be unloaded...




My dad repaired our cow trailer...he doesn't look 81, does he?!



This is where the dogs hang out while we're milking...right under our feet...


And this is where Slinky the cat hangs out...high above the dogs...


Self-service balage...or so they think!


Me and my next-oldest sister...Look behind us...I just can't get away from those cows!



And I couldn't let this one out.  We all gathered after Christmas to watch my brother in law start his old 1936 John Deere D that he, with some help from my Dad, restored.  It started up, he whooped and hollered, we cheered, and he's still grinning!  This one's for you, Marty!



And to round out the year, here's another picture of the sunrise on New Year's Day 2011...



Thanks for humoring me...do you have any favorites?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sis,

    Thanks for including my picture on your blog. It feels so good to be as famous as your dogs and cows.

    Still Smiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! I like the one of Joe holding the puppies and the neighbors farm. All that snow looks like fun. We don't get any snow where we live now, but we use to get snow in the midwest. As much as our kids enjoy the ocean we hear a lot of "I wish it would snow" and "I miss the snow". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bro...

    Of course you're famous! Keep smiling! :)


    Lovin' Life...

    I love the one of Joe too...he's 88 years old in this picture, and loved, loved, loved those puppies! And our kids wish they were able to be at the beach more often!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!