Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bullies...

The past few years, we've been hearing alot about bully prevention in the school system.  I was reminded tonight about how we have bullies right here in our barn!

When the weather turns cold, we watch the temperatures closely.  When it gets very cold and windy, like last night and this morning, we shut off some of the water lines in the west side of the barn.  This means that we then have to fill water tubs with a hose, in order for the heifers to drink...

Tonight, as I was filling the heifers' water tub (wishing I was inside watching the Eagles game!), I got really angry!  We have six animals in what we call the "outside pen" right now...a springing cow, a steer and four heifers...

I expected that the cow would be the first one to drink...she drank the water as fast as it would run out of the hose!  I expected the steer to be next...and then the two biggest heifers, followed by the two slightly smaller ones. 

But what made me so angry, was that the cow, when she was finished drinking, stood there and pushed all the others away.  She didn't need any more water; she just wanted to be bossy!  I chased her away, and then had to do the same with the steer.  The two larger heifers wouldn't even let the two smaller ones inside!   

We are so much like animals!  Or...are they so much like us?!  God must get so frustrated with us when He sees us acting so mean to each other...throwing our weight around "just because we can!"
It all turned out fine for those heifers...Jim and I were able to pen the larger animals outside temporarily so that the smaller ones could eat and drink in peace!  I just wonder why they have to act like that?! 

(and we got to go watch the end of the Eagles game...but I should've just stayed in the barn!) 

3 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder that we need to not bully one another, but instead show Christian love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called survival of the fittest. It's necessary for wild animals, understandable in domestic animals, and unforgivable in humans. Glad you were there to referee. I have to do that with the goats too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working closely with animals gives us a new perspective, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!