Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hummies...

We arrived home last night just before the snow and freezing rain started!  It's a good thing, because the roads are a mess this morning.  The kids have off school, much to their chagrin;  now they have to go on Friday, which was supposed to be a day off.  I guess it's all part of being flexible!

I must say, while I was thrilled to be away for a few days,  I was glad to go back to the barn this morning!  I actually missed my hummies...and I think they were glad to see me too!

They stick their heads out of their hutches to greet me whenever I appear.  I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I usually am bringing them food...




Outside is the best place for the calves, even in the dead of winter.  The fresh air does wonders for keeping them healthy.  They are in a protected spot, out of the wind, with the open end of their hutches to the south.  We bed them up with sawdust and straw. When it's really cold, they wear insulated coats.  I think it makes them look like little sheep...



They'll be cozy in their hutches today...munching on hay and feed, eagerly waiting to see us again this afternoon! 




2 comments:

  1. They are so cute. With a herd of one, I usually try to calve in nice weather, but the year Maxine had a December calf we had no problems--just brought her in the house to dry and then returned her to mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're much more accomodating than we would be...no calves in the house here! :)I have enough trouble keeping the barn out of the house...but that's fodder for another post someday...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!