Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bread recipe...

I'm sitting here this morning, trying to get myself to pull on my insulated coveralls and head out to the barn.  I'm imagining what all could happen today...

It's supposed to snow...the kids could get home early from school...they might want to go sledding...the dogs will have a blast with unexpected playmates...the hot water might be on for hot chocolate...

And wouldn't the smell of baking bread top it all?!

Here's a recipe that a friend from Church gave to me last winter.  It's the simplest, most forgiving bread recipe I've ever tried. 

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. dry yeast
6 1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached flour  ( I use 4 cups white, and 2 1/2 cups of something else...oat flour, whole wheat, etc.  He suggests adding sunflower seeds or flax...)

Mix together until incorporated.  (add flour or water as needed)  It will be a sticky dough.
Let rise for 2 hours minimum at room temperature.
(at this point you can bake it, but it handles better if it rises a little longer)

Divide the dough in half and shape into two cantalope sized balls.  Let it rise on a pizza pan coated with cornmeal.  Let it rise for 40 minutes.

Place a baking stone on the middle oven rack and coat with cornmealPlace a shallow pan on the bottom oven rack.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  (time it so that oven is ready at the end of the rising time for your loaves of bread)

Dust the top of the loaves with flour, and make of a couple of slices on the top with a serrated knife.  Transfer to baking stone in oven.

Immediately pour about a cup of water into the shallow pan.  This creates steam to make a nice crust.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until crust looks and feels right.


So...if you're feeling adventurous, or if the smell of fresh baking bread appeals to you...give it a try!  A slice a warm, fresh baked bread slathered with butter and homemade strawberry jelly...sounds good to me!

Thanks, Leon, for the recipe!


2 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good idea. I just found out I have a snow day, so I might just have to make bread.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!