Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's Bittersweet...

I've thought a long time about posting this...

There might be some of you who don't like the idea...and I don't want to offend anyone...but it's reality here, and it's reality on a lot of farms...

Occasionally, when we have a cow that doesn't settle (become pregnant) easily, our last ditch effort is to have her bred to a cross breed; often an Angus or Hereford.  This often results in a confirmed pregnancy, for whatever reason! 

Being a crossbreed, the resulting calf will never be an asset to the dairy herd.  So...if the calf is a bull, we will make him a steer, and raise him for beef.

The first time we raised a steer, we made some mistakes.  Big mistakes.  We turned him into a pet.  Well...almost.  He got a little too big to cuddle with, but...  When the time came to have him fill our freezer, there were tears all around. 

This time, we tried to steel ourselves for the inevitable...

"Archie" was part Holstein, part Hereford.  He was an adorable little calf, but thank goodness some of that wore off as he got older.  He had basically a nice temperament, but was beginning to push the heifers around in the outside pen.  We also didn't feel very comfortable having Jenna in the pen with him.  He was just BIG!  It was time. So...he is now keeping three families very happy for a L O N G time. 




 It's been bittersweet, but then again, life on the farm can be that way.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Alica I understand this post. I sometimes have stories I am not sure I should post. I had a calf die this morning but I am pretty sure most of my readers would not want to hear about it. A sad morning, but life on the farm is not always sunshine and roses. Reality is always surrounding us. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooooo understand, but it is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making the final decision to send a animal to the freezer is always hard,I don't like having to do it but I know the days do come.
    We have a Highland steer, Yorick, that will be leaving in June,he is a nice boy always curious and looking for a scratch,I try to convince DH he should be a ox!
    I know just how you feel but these animals do not die in vain.
    ps~ I think farmers who name their steers are amazingly respectful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to the fact that life on the farm isn’t always roses. We were up half the night with coyotes howling in the woods. It’s a big fear for us and we do have losses. No matter the type of loss--it’s all hard and unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my husband says, you can't make a pet out of the farm animals -- it doesn't make good sense. I think I've gotten more used to it over the years, but sometimes when one goes missing or to the freezer, it's still a bit difficult. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um. I have an ox. I'm a vegetarian. I am amazed at people who have the guts to eat their own animals. I truly believe that's the way it should be, and I don't have the guts to do it.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buttons - I'm sorry to hear about your calf!

    Amy - I've never heard coyotes howling...we don't have them here. I'm assuming that they go after anything smaller than them?

    Teresa - I respect your decision to be vegetarian! I grew up eating meat from our animals, so I never thought too much about it, but now that we raise our own, and the kids are a part of it, I definitely think more about it.


    I would have to say though, that I am glad knowing where our meat comes from...it's not a mystery about how the animal was treated and what drugs it may have been given.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A couple years ago, we started buying beef from our neighbor. We joke as we drive by his house wondering which steer will end up in our freezer! I agree on all sides with this post. It is hard to imagine that we eat our (or in this case, our neighbor's) animals. And yes, it's bittersweet. But I also agree that I like to know where my meat is coming from. Plus it tastes SO much better than store bought meat!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!