Monday, February 14, 2011

A Glimpse of Spring...

I know, you say...it's only Valentines' Day!  We still have two weeks left in February, and all of March to go before we can really call it Spring...but this week I'm seeing glimpses of what is to come. 

The temperature this morning is already above 40 degrees...and it's to be in the 50's later this week! 

The dogs have been lounging in the sunshine, rather than huddled together on their bed in the shop...

The snow is disappearing, and I see that there really is grass  mud underneath...

We're starting to see more people out and about, running along the roads and around the trail at the golf course...  (I should probably join them!)

The breeze has a touch of warmth to it, and I think I'll hang my wash outside today...

And best of all...when I fed the calves this morning, Belle's calf, who has been struggling to be healthy for the past two weeks, came out eagerly to drink her milk.  All of it.  Without hesitation.  That's wonderful news!

We won't put away the winter clothes yet.  The hats, gloves and boots will still dry by the radiator...




...but perhaps those boots will be needed for mud now, instead of snow!

So...while it's warm, I think I'll head out to clean out the chicken pen.  Maybe the chickens will get the hint that spring is in the air, and start laying some more eggs.  One can only hope!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Alica it is +5c here and is raining on top of the snow. It will drop to -16c tonight which will make for ice. That will not be pleasant for me or our cows. I am looking forward to spring. Have fun in the pen. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttons - well, the pen is cleaned out...6 eggs so far from 13 chickens. We'll see if they can do better than that! Hope spring comes soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Belle's baby keeps doing better. That warm weather can be a blessing for them. I'm so hopeful that we've seen the worst of winter, and spring isn't just teasing us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't usually have so much trouble, especially in the winter with calves. Having them in the hutches does wonders...but for some reason this winter has been difficult! They passed around a nasty virus for several weeks. I just love it when these hints of spring arrive...it reminds me of "hope"! Hope your spring soon arrives too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, glad you liked the cabbage soup! I'm ready to make some more for myself. Reading your blog is mind blowing, all that goes into farm life! I joke that I have the "Philly Barnyard", my silly critters are wax, plastic and ceramic, much easier to care for:@) I'm just north of Philly, guessing you're way north and west. No need to answer here, just wanted to say "hey":@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know...I agree with you. Here in SW Pennsylvania, it's looking like winter is on it's way out. I know looks can be deceiving and I expect it! The sun has been shining for the past few days. It's been very refreshing. My husband just cleaned out our chicken coop yesterday. We used a heat lamp in the coop all winter, so our chickens laid all winter long. We have 4 Rhode Island Reds and one white Americauna. I love those chickens, they are so funny sometimes! Our backyard is melting, but it is completely iced over where we walk everyday. Hoping it will melt a good bit today and the next couple days.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!