Monday, October 30, 2017

Filling the Corn Crib...

Like I mentioned in one of last week's posts about combining corn, Jim left a few acres of standing corn to pick and fill the crib.

He had to figure out just how much to let standing in order to fill the crib full enough that the level of corn was at least above the roof line without having any left over.  He wanted to keep the rain and snow off the top of the corn so it could remain dry and mold free, just like it's supposed to be!

So here's why we all had to take math classes in school...

First figure out how many bushels of corn the crib holds...then figure out how many bushels of corn yield from an acre...then look at your field maps and look at the remaining corn and decided how many acres are remaining...then ask yourself if it will be enough or too much?

Then you start  picking...

Oh wait!  First you get the corn crib ready.  You set up the elevator so that the corn goes inside the crib and not out over the roof!



Then you start picking and unloading.

Jim's friend Phil came on Saturday morning and unloaded wagons for about 4 1/2 hours!  Thanks Phil!  (I can move a two wheeled cart like the cow trailer just fine, but haven't ever practiced on a four wheeled wagon, so I was a bit helpless here)

After Phil left, I unloaded a couple of wagons that were set up for me.  This is Jim unloading one of the last bin wagons, just before milking time.





When I was a girl, I remember climbing up into the wagon on top of the corn, pushing it down towards the open door with my feet to help my Dad unload faster.  Our kids did the same, years ago!

Coming down the home stretch!  I love it when I can see the road again!  That's a two row picker pulled by the 170, which is hidden by the corn.  One complete round, up and back, filled a bin wagon...


One of the last loads going into the crib.  How do you think Jim's estimate was?


I'd say it was just about perfect!  There was only enough room remaining under the peak of the roof for a partial load.

It pays to pay attention in math class!  :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, the math... I have been making sporadic attempts to draw out our property on paper so that I would have a guide to our complex riding trail system (I have been wanting to make signs to hang at each trailhead over this winter), but do you think I can get it right? I even tried google earth, but all it shows is a shadowy, blurred scene of green,though I can make out the buildings, almost). I'm hopeless I guess, but I'm still going to make those signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is some amazing math skills. I am impressed that you could do wagon loads. I love seeing how you and Jim get ready for winter. It always makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't often see corn cribs here anymore. No chance for farmers tp practice their arithmetic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have filling the corn crib down to a science. It looks pretty impressive. Now I hope you can rest.
    Happy Halloween.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a math person, so I'm duly impressed! We don't have much corn harvested in this way in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farmers are just so good at that kind of thing. My dad used to be able to tell you what a steer weighted with in pounds, how much corn was in a standing field and many other things and he did this in his head. He hauled coal for people in the winter(Ohio) and knew how many tons he had before he drove through the scales. Farmers are just much smarter then people think they are and carry a world of knowledge in their heads.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!