Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Freshening Up the Chicken Pen...

It's a dirty, dusty job, but it's got to be done...and it's got numerous benefits!

It's been a while since I've cleaned out the chickens' shed, but I'm down to seven six chickens now (Phoebe was a very bad dog last week!) so right now they don't make a very big mess.  After I rototilled the garden, it took me only about fifteen minutes to clean out the chicken litter and toss it around.  (benefit #1)


My helper and I loaded up the wagon with straw and the rest of a bag of chicken feed...


(I told her that we were going to the chickens, and she took off like she was shot out of a cannon!  Can you see her?)



...and in about five minutes, the chickens had fresh bedding. (benefit #2)  They don't use the nesting boxes right now, but prefer to lay their eggs in a nest on the floor, so I spread out most of the straw in the back of the shed...


They scratched around, looking for treasures food...


...while Phoebe wished desperately to get into the pen...



Sorry Phebes...no chicken for your dinner tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Nice to hear about your chickens. We had some older hens and they passed away. I miss them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken coop looks nice. Bummer about Phoebe eating and not protecting the birds. I could use some chicken manure for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right...that is one duty job, but it always feels so good when done...and smells nice also!

    Love your DOGGY!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!