Saturday, May 14, 2011

Of Mice and Hen...

Yesterday afternoon as I was mowing in the chicken pen, I saw a commotion...

When I saw what was going on, I ran for my camera.

She's on the run, but do you see what this young hen has in her mouth?...


It was her special prize, and there was NO way she was going to share!



She ran around the pen for about ten minutes, with about a dozen other hens at her heels. She even outran the bullies old ladies!

Am I so naive that I didn't think a chicken would catch and eat a mouse?  Just because I'd never seen it doesn't mean it isn't possible...I saw it with my own eyes!

9 comments:

  1. They do love their mice, don't they! So do the peacocks. I even had a duck eat one once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder what the cat thought:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great shot. You timed that perfectly. Funny. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness gracious!! I can't believe it! That's incredible. I haven't witnessed that with my hens yet. I have seen them swallow up big fat worms and snatch mosquitos right out of the air, but that's it! That's so cool that you were able to get photos of that!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learn soooo much reading your blog -- and enjoy a few chuckles too! :-D

    P.S. You won't believe my verification word for this comment: damices Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom's chickens used to do that, mine haven't as far as I know, but I bet given the chance they would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, they are great mice catchers! Love seeing one with a prize and the others wanting a piece of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter has chickens and she was telling me one of her hens last week caught a mouse and ate it. I had no idea they would do that !

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that is too cute!!!

    popped over from debbie at swampbilly's place to say hello and congrats on your award! looks like you have a great farm here!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!