Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Heifers Homecoming...

Settlement on the other farm happened a few weeks ago, but we were able to keep the dozen or so bred heifers over there until we ran out of feed.  I'd say Jim planned pretty well...last fall he had to guestimate how much silage we would need until late Feb/early March, and it worked out just right!  We brought them home on Saturday morning.

These three youngin's have no idea how their world is going to change.  They're used to having the run of the outside pen...


It took about fifteen minutes to load the ten heifers and young bull into the the trailer, and another five minutes to get them home...



(those barn cleaners are getting a long needed rest after being used daily for many, many years)


The outside pen is once again full of animals, back home where they "grew up"...


They don't care much where they are, just so there's food, water and shelter available!


Once the meadow greens up this spring, we'll let them out to graze to their heart's content.  As they spring up, they'll then be sold at a dairy sale.  Anyone need some nice first calf heifers?

5 comments:

  1. Nice to have them back home. I'm sure it is such a flood of mixed feelings with all the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile, because I was thinking about your dogs and wondering if they are feeling as though things are back to 'normal' :)

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it is nice to have them home. Just for awhile. I bet it feels more normal.
    Right now I would take them just to graze down all of the green grass we have from all of the rain. Too bad you are all across the U.S. from me. :) How's work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you appreciate having a few barnyard animals around. I've been off the ranch for thirty years, but I still miss taking care of the farm animals.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!