Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Final Milk Check...

Twenty five years ago, Jim and I eagerly awaited our first milk check.  We had to wait for a while, because dairy farmers are paid for milk shipped the previous month.  We were so excited, and documented the event...


This past week we received our final milk check, one month after we milked for the last time.  It was much nicer on this end, getting paid for a full month after we finished milking!


It would be nice to say that after twenty five years, the milk price has continued to increase like everything else, including expenses...but sad to say that's not the case.  I tried to compare prices, but it was difficult.  We shipped to a different co-op in 1994, and things were structured differently. The deductions that come off of the milk check each month are so different, and so much more now than they were then, but it was still fun to look at those old milk check stubs and try to compare!  

One thing that hasn't changed is the smile on my farmer's face!








8 comments:

  1. What a fun re-enactment! Don't spend it all in one place - ha! While I love farming and the life it has provided for our family, that's the thing I find frustrating. Inputs have increased exponentially, but the returns haven't been close to keeping pace. You've got to love the farmer's attitude, though! Mine is like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alica. I still remember the good old days at your farm, all the things I learned during my stay with you guys. I'm filled with joy as I read your story which makes me go down memory lane. I can hardly believe it's been 25 years!I'm so proud of you my dear friends. Please receive a big hug from me and my family. May the Lord continue to bless you richly as He has always done to this very day. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. The seasons of life. Blessed to know that the Lord's seasons are different than maybe what we think our seasons should be. Enjoy this new stage in your lives. ��❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both smiles are great. The beginning and the end are equally moments to be remembered. Cattle prices have not changed for us either. Farmers make too much money they say. Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a warm and infectious smile on your hubby's face!
    It's as though the smile reflects an adventure about to begin all those years ago, and now, a new adventure about to begin, even though it's a different sort adventure.
    Wishing you both blessings and good health in your future adventures, and lots more smiles :)

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, the deductions they take off the milk cheque is so high and the machinery is so expensive and so many other expenses that farmers don't get much return for the hard work they do.
    I'm glad you received your last milk cheque and that the farmer is happy.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. True that the pay to the producer doesn't go up, yet in the grocery stores everything dairy (at least here) is going up. I used to get cheap butter at Walmart ($3-3.50) but now even there it is over $5/lb

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!