Friday, February 1, 2019

Time For Something New...

It's been a season of changes around here, and this week, they became reality.

On Monday morning, David, a young Amish neighbor who is starting out farming, came to choose which of our cows he wanted to purchase.

On Tuesday we sent several cows that he didn't want, to a dairy sale.

Yesterday several older cows went to the sale barn, and early this morning Jim and I headed to the barn to milk for the last time...


It was pretty cold, but thankfully not windy...


We finished up milking and kept our eyes on the clock, anticipating the cattle hauler arriving soon...


He first transported some cows from another neighbor and then arrived at our farm...




The cows cooperated quite nicely as they were loaded onto the truck.  Off he goes with the first load...


Last trip down Clearview Road...


...and here they are, settling into their new home!  Henry, age 2, looks on...



Our job for the next hour or so will be draining all the water lines in the cow stable.  We don't need any surprises when the weather warms and we turn on the water again to the barn!  For now we'll water the heifers with a hose from the milk house into a stock tank.

It's the end of an era, and as we expected, we have mixed emotions.  One thing that helps is knowing that most of the cows went to a neighbor, and will be helping him get off to a start in dairy farming. We've felt a lot of support from friends and family, and are looking forward to what's next.  What all that is, we don't know yet, but we're slowly piecing it together.

Jim and I spent almost twenty-five years working together, and we think that over all it went very well!  We might not get to eat three meals a day together any more, but we'll be fine!

For now, we still have some heifers and a couple of young calves that will keep our fingers in farming for a little while!

10 comments:

  1. I am sure your emotions are very mixed. Someday we will know what you are getting into as far as emotions. You have done well for your families and yourself in a tough but honorable profession. You should be proud. Sending hugs and love B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the cows will adjust well to their new home and new owner.
    You two also have to adjust to a new routine. Best of luck.

    The cold vortex has found us today but now the temperature is rising slowly and the wind has stopped.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, just got caught up. I didn't realize you were making this big of a change. Happily married to each other is definitely better than to the cows at any rate. Hope all goes well with all your new endeavors! Changes they are a coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bittersweet for certain.
    You have a positive outlook on the changes and new adventures you will be experiencing, and that's a lot of the battle with life changes it seems.
    I am so hard~headed that it takes me a while to look back on things and see the good in them.
    As I'm moving into the Autumn of my life, I'm working to do better and embrace the "joy in the journey" attitude.
    I've learned not to fret about plan A, B, C, and so on. I've found the sun still comes up each morning, and brings me a brand new day :)
    Thanks for sharing your farmlife with us, and your new adventures too.
    You inspire me :)

    Have a happy weekend.
    ~K.

    p.s. We too have been hooked on Netflix and Hulu...or and Prime.
    We "Binge~watched" Psych. It's quirky and makes me chuckle.


    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you and Jim all the best with the direction God is leading you. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.
    I will always bookmark your blog and may come back very soon. I want to encourage you to
    ultimately continue your great writing, have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your new endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit that my eyes teared up with this post. It's not because I'm sad for you. After a rough couple of years, we are looking toward retirement in a few years with some anticipation. But I also know how ingrained this way of life is. It is a big change, and I wish nothing but the best for you and Jim. I've never been involved with dairy farming, and I really can't imagine how tied to the farm you've been. Enjoy and relish this new season of life! I'm excited for you! And I agree with you: Helping the next generation of farmers get started is a wonderful thing. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we stopped milking, then stopped raising spring'n heifers, then stopped raising beef cattle I was depressed for a long time. Terry wasn't but I missed the cows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change is always exciting and scary. Here's to a wonderful next stage.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!