Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Making A Compost Bin...


I've been reading a lot about, and experimenting with making my own compost for a long time.

To this point, I've always just made a pile...straw/manure/sawdust mixture from the calf hutches...chicken and goat manure...some dried grass clippings...and the usual kitchen and garden scraps all piled together.  However, it all pretty much just sat there and did nothing...very slowly.

Today I finally got around to putting together a compost bin, using three old recycled pallets to make a three-sided bin.  I forked the pile to the side onto a tarp, and leveled the ground to put the pallets in place.  I used some fencing staples and some bale ropes to secure them together...


The pallets will allow air into the pile, which is necessary for composting.  I also read about putting a "chimney" in the center of the pile to speed up the composting process.  So, I rolled up some chicken wire and secured it in the center of the bin.  I even had an audience...


Next, I forked the contents of my pile back into the bin.  I chose to let the front of the bin open, for ease of turning the compost.  If I need to, I can put another pallet across the front to hold it all in place better.

I'm hoping to use two more pallets, to make a double bin, putting them to the left of the existing bin...then I can begin a second pile while the first one cooks...
 
...but I can't get to my other two pallets for a few weeks yet.  (They're underneath about a ton of barn-dri right now)  We'll see how it all works out!

12 comments:

  1. It looks nice. You could add some earth worms. I think that looks really good, I have some old pallets. My husband use to sprinkle yeast in his when it wasn't hot enough. I haven't had one in a while. I used my worm bin and then I let them go when it got too hot.
    I think my hens found them. I really enjoyed making a compost bin. I like your straw that is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you really want it to compost fast~add a goose or two. They will dig through that stuff and turn it and add more organic matter. Mine made an overflowing 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft bin all dissappear in about a week's time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fertalizer for gardens thats for sure ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I compost my horse manure. After a year of working it makes the best fertilizer going! Real Black Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have yourself a nice compost bin.

    Mine is made of wires that goes to reinforce cement and I have three side by side. It's pretty weedy right now as I just throw the debris in. Creeping Charlie and barnyard grass have taken over. JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Looking compost bin! I didn't know about the chimney aspect. Very cool! Hope this one works out well. Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so wanted to do this. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. It even looks nice. Much better than my wire fence. Best of all there are always free pallets offered in my area. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've finally harvested some good stuff from our compost heap. It's great to have all that nice organic stuff to put right back into the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great re-purposing of pallets..and yard debris :)

    In no time at all, you're going to have some great 'black gold'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks good and just think of all that wonderful compost you will have for your garden! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coming way late to the conversation, from The Frugal Girl's blog. You can make a door with a 4th pallet, using wire to make the hinges.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!