Thursday, March 17, 2011

Expect the Unexpected...

Some time ago,  I wrote about what I've been learning about FLEXIBILITY. and how this is a tough topic for me...

I'm a list maker, a list checker-offer, and I thrive on routine and knowing what to expect in my day.  Well...

Last night I made lists of all the things that needed to happen today, ALL of which seemed to be very important.  The lists went something like this...

* take child #1 to school early at 7am 
* take child #2 to school at 8:30 
* check on neighbor and deliver his newspaper 
* complete recipe forms for a cookbook project 
* deliver piano accompaniment to a friend from Church so she can practice before Sunday
* mail important package at post office
* get to the library to do some online things with speedy internet
* do barn laundry and hang it out
* start cleaning up the yard
* go for a run

Of course in the midst of all those IMPORTANT things, were the usual morning barn chores.  Yes, Jim could do them himself, but it's much, much nicer with two people! 

So...we began our morning...

The first three items were accomplished in short order.   On to the barn.  We had several cows to watch for heats, so all the cows went out while we gave them fresh bedding.  The hammer mill came to grind corn, and Jim headed over to the other farm to feed the heifers.

I've just started running, and this morning I decided to run to the other farm and catch a ride back with him.  Well...yes, I made it!...but when I got there, Jim had found a new addition.  Lazarus had freshened early, and had a beautiful heifer calf!

 We went home for the cow trailer, and came back over to bring Lazarus and the new baby home.  The problem is...we now have more milking cows than we have stalls.  So, we needed to move some heifers around from one farm to the other to make room for Lazarus. 

That's when the day fell apart!

You see...heifers in particular can be STUBBORN!  Both of the heifers that we took to the other farm planted their feet and   would.   not.   move.  What should have taken perhaps 30 minutes max, took over 1 1/2 hours!

In between moving heifers, I tried to hang out my laundry, and dropped clean clothes onto my muddy barn boots.  Ugh.

The package has not been mailed... the music has not yet been delivered...the recipes are not complete...the yard is still a mess with sticks and other wintry things...the laundry is still hanging on the line, and I've not been to the library to do my speedy-internet things!  I'll be honest with you...this was one of those days that we'd rather undo and start over.  Why is being flexible so difficult?  It was nobody's fault...it just happened...and tomorrow will probably be much better!  :) 

I usually try to write about the good things...the fun things that happen on the farm, but today I decided to be honest about how some days go!

But...we have a healthy heifer calf, a healthy Mama, and my daffodils bloomed today!  So maybe the day wasn't wasted, after all! 

Can you guess what we named Lazarus' new baby?


And now...if you'd like to read some more farm blogs, head over to Farm Friend Friday at Verde Farm!

10 comments:

  1. Oh....what a cutie! Don't feel bad about not liking being flexible, I am the very same way! Hubby always says God forbid that my schedule gets ruined......I don't handle it very well! I never ever just take time to relax, it is too stressful for me.....go figure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-what a day for sure. I can only imagine trying to get a huge, stubborn cow to move when you wanted them to. Amazing. The calf is absolutely gorgeous. I can’t wait to find out what you named her? Thanks for sharing with FFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days are like that, the sticks will still be there tomorrow! Glad your daff's bloomed-Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newborn calves just don't have that planning thing down. Very cute -- I'm not real up on my biblical names this morning, so I'll have to wait to see what you named the little beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sucker for white eyelash calves..Thanks for visiting our blog! I'm now following!I can't wait till we have flowers blooming!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alica, I remember well about those stubborn heifers... and too, the unexpected farm life, but what a rich life it is. What a beautiful calf!! I'm guessing either Mary or Martha. :) Praying you have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet calf.
    I was a lister to back when I was younger, but now that I am retired I dont seem to care that much it gets done when it gets done lol not so has to be done NOW! type person relaxed these days. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alica I been there we always seem to make it through don't we. Expect the unexpected is so true in farming. Love daffodils B

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do have a stubborn streak. When my ox didn't want to get on the trailer to go have his hooves trimmed at the vet's office, we had to call and reschedule when he felt more like getting on the trailer. You do have a very beautiful baby there. Can't wait to hear what the baby's name is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you at Farm Friend Friday and I am so glad. Your calf is a beaut... my favorite uncle milked Holsteins and I have so many good memories of those cows, their calves, the barn cats, and my uncle. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!