Friday, May 25, 2018

Garden 2018...the Beginning...

My garden is planted about as late as it's ever been, this year!  A long week of rain and other "more important things" are my excuses!

Last evening I rototilled, and tonight I planted.

I planted a row of zinnias, a bed of sunflowers, and found two packs of seeds in my garden shed from 2014.  This is the year of experimentation...will they germinate or not?

This is my lima bean row, guarded fiercely by my two helpers.

One of these helpers is about to cause trouble.  Can you guess which one?


First, she tried to eat the lima beans as fast as I dropped them into the rows...


Then she found a piece of wood and decided to play keep away with her mother...


You can imagine the state of the garden when they were finished!

I found several volunteer dill plants growing along the edge of the garden, so I left them to grow...



My tomatoes have actually been planted for a couple of weeks.  I have blight in my soil, so each year I mulch heavily with straw, to keep the soil from splashing up onto the leaves when it rains.  I also spray them with liquid copper.  I hope they do ok this year, because I planted them, mulched them and then it began to rain, before I got them sprayed!


My cucumbers, Burpless #26, don't look too happy.  They didn't appreciate all the rain either, and turned a little yellow and sickly looking.  But now that we've had several days of sunshine, I see a blossom!  Fingers crossed!  My pickle shelf is getting empty...


And last but not least...

Totally unrelated, but located  next to my garden, are our two new additions...


Kari and Whitney are leghorn pullets, given to me by Kari's daughter Avalea.  She and her fellow classmates at our local CTC hatched them and raised them to eight weeks of age before finding them new homes.   Last evening I went inside to check on them and I found them huddled together in the nesting boxes.  Aren't they sweet?

They're still extremely shy, and they're not allowed out of the shed yet.  I want to protect them from hawks and other dangers as much as possible until they're bigger.  I've also reinforced the fence to keep out foxes and other predators.

Hopefully they'll be joined before too long by some other hens, to keep them company.  (and to keep us in eggs!!)

6 comments:

  1. That must have been "interesting" trying to get your planting done with your two helpers! I have blight in my soil, too. I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't have any straw to mulch with. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alica, you are way ahead of me with the planting. It will be a while before I can plant because of the nasty flood. The ground is still soggy and it's been raining here too but it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow...

    Mountains of driftwood has been picked from our fields but the swamp has moved over the road to one of our field and it will be a lot of work to fix it up but it will have to be fixed because it's a protected habitat for ducks. Ducks Unlimited may help us.

    Those two cute chicks are sweet.
    Hugs, Julia


    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "helpers" are so cute and mischievous. Your garden looks great. Eggs are the goal, they are so cute.. Do not work to hard it is getting busy. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look very sweet in the nest box. I hope you get hens soon. Your garden is lovely. I like your helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is looking so good. I hope you have more chicks by the time you read this. Chickens are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planting the garden is always such fun! I don't have as much help as you do.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!