Tuesday, May 22, 2018

After The Rain...

I really want this post to be about after the rain...but the problem is, you see...it keeps on raining!!

Friday a week ago, most of corn went in the ground.  Saturday the rain began.  And Sunday. And Monday. I remember that Tuesday was just cloudy, and I regretted not getting the yard mowed. It rained again on Wednesday. And Thursday. Friday was finally nice enough to mow, (I could have baled the grass, it had grown so much!) and then it rained in the evening.  Saturday brought heavy rain all day, and finally, Sunday was nice, with only a brief shower. 

You get the picture.  We lost track of the measurements, but we must have had +-3" of rain in the past week. 

The corn was a concern.  However, as soon as the sun came out again, we saw this...


If you enlarge the picture, you'll see faint green rows running the length of the field.  Most of the corn germinated and came up, except for some low lying areas where the water either washed or couldn't get away in the saturated ground.  We're very thankful!

Now for the colorful part of the post...

Years ago, our neighbor Ruth grew and sold bearded iris.  She shared with us, and whenever I see them bloom, I think of her!







Their blooming season is short...we'll only enjoy them for a week or so...but I just love them!  When I walk past them to the calf hutches, their sweet scent is so pleasant!

Yesterday was perfect.  Just perfect...lots of blue sky, a gentle breeze and low humidity.

And today it rained again. 

Sigh.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad your corn survived and is growing. You have the same colors of Irises as me. What a coincidence.
    I hope that you have a great week of sunshine. It's been absolutely beautiful here this week but it's been raining a bit this morning. A good thing to wash the mud from the flood.
    I hope the rain stops for a while.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see your fence row with all of those Irises. I love how pretty it looks against that white fence, but my goodness what work it must be to get it to looks so picture perfect.
    Has it stopped raining yet? I am so glad you have some corn coming up. It looks so lovely and green. What I wouldn't do if we could have rain like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your irises are so beautiful! Such nice weedless beds! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Iris. They are so hard. Yours are beautiful! I love the bright yellow one. Plants are always more special when they come from family or friends. I think your flowers by the fence are grand. Glad to see your corn is up. Mine has yet to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the water droplets on your irises, but I know it's the corn that pays the bills, so I'm glad it didn't drown out. We have gotten some timely rains this spring after a winter with no moisture at all, so we are thankful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely array of iris - I have only purple ones & would love some other colours. The originals were given to me years ago & I hauled them here from another province when we moved. Daylillies gifted to me here are all yellow, I have given a LOT of them away! Finally broke down and bought a couple of new colours, sure do hope they survive. Yesterday was our FIRST rain of the year - and it was a doozy of a storm complete with thunder, lightning, & hail.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!