Monday, September 4, 2017

Granola Recipe aka "Keeping the College Kids Well Fed"...

Earlier today I posted a picture of a pan full of delicious granola that was in my oven...making my kitchen smell soooo good...


I sent both of our college kids on their way this past month with a box of food.  You know...in case the cafeteria doesn't feed them enough.  Things like nutella, peanut butter, popcorn, dried fruit, granola bars...all kinds of things...and of course homemade granola!  Bonnie, a friend of mine, gave me this recipe a while ago, and it's the only granola we've eaten ever since!

One of the kids asked for a refill this week, so this morning I threw a batch together.  It's that easy.

A bunch of you on Facebook, asked for the recipe...so here it is!

HEALTHY GRANOLA

4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 c. raw nuts and/or seeds (I used sliced almonds)
1 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c melted coconut oil (she has used olive oil and likes it, but I prefer the taste of coconut oil)
1/2 c maple syrup or honey (I use 1/4 c of each)
1 t vanilla extract

2/3 c dried fruit (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts/seeds, salt and cinnamon.  Stir thoroughly to combine.  In another bowl, mix the melted oil, maple syrup/honey and vanilla together.  Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.  Spread the granola evenly on the lined baking sheet.  Bake until golden, about 21-23 minutes.  (I set the timer for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through baking).  If you prefer to have chunks of granola for snacking as opposed to a cereal, don't stir, but be careful to not let it get too dark.  Allow the granola to cool completely, undisturbed before adding dried fruit.  Store in an airtight container at room temp for 1-2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer container for up to 3 months.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!Healthier too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the granola recipe. It sounds tasty. I haven't made any in years and should try it.
    The hay harvest is finally done for this year.
    Take care, hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious! I need to make some to take to work. Good for you sending care packages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting mail is always great. Getting mail with yummy food is even better. I can almost smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!