Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Still Canning Tomatoes...

It's been a few weeks since I posted...and guess what?  I'm still canning tomatoes!

I made three batches of salsa, one batch of spaghetti sauce (I have some left from last year) and I'm on my second batch of tomato soup today!

Oh...and in there, a friend came and picked several buckets full of tomatoes when I was gone taking Jenna to college in Kansas.  They just keep growing and ripening...yay for those of us who like tomatoes!

Yesterday when I got up, I was planning to make a fourth batch of salsa...but I read a post on face book by a friend who made soup, and so I changed my plans.  I think she froze hers, but I found a recipe that looked good that was for a pressure canner, and so I gave it a try.  I think the kettle full of veggies looks so pretty!


Such an easy recipe...and I got ten pints, plus enough for our supper last night...


Normally, a pint jar of soup concentrate wouldn't be nearly enough for our family...but I'm having to retrain myself to think in terms of cooking for two, not four.  Both kids are away at college, so it's a season of change here in many ways.

Here's the recipe, if you'd like to give it a try...

TOMATO SOUP CONCENTRATE

8 lbs ripe tomatoes, unpeeled, quartered
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups onion, diced
1 cup fresh parsley
6 bay leaves
3/4 cup clear jel
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp salt (optional...I used less)
1/4 cup sugar (optional)

Place tomatoes, celery, onion, parsley and bay leaves in a large stainless steel pot.  Cook gently, uncovered, until tender, stirring as needed.

Press through a food strainer, or sieve into a large stainless steel or enamel cast iron sauce pan.  

Set aside 2 cups of puree to cool.

Whisk together clear jel, and cooled tomato puree to form a slurry.

Bring soup back to a boil and stir in the slurry.  (This is when I added the salt, pepper and sugar)  Continue to boil for about two minutes, until it thickens.  *Soup will not resemble commercial soup concentrate, but rather a slightly-too-thick tomato soup.

Ladle into pint or half pint jars and fill to 1" head space.  Wipe rings and set two piece caps.

Process in pressure canner...at 10 lbs pressure for a weighted gauge and 11 lbs pressure for dial gauge...for 25 minutes.  Do not use quarts for this recipe

When ready to make the soup, just heat with equal parts liquid such as milk, water or chicken broth.


I kept some extra out for our supper last night, and we were pleased with the taste!  Grilled cheese sandwiches and fresh lima beans from my Mom's garden made a tasty meal!  



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and the recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you getting along with your empty nest? I hope you are making the adjustment. It's definitely a process after being child-focused for so many years. At least it was for me! With all your canning, it appears you are keeping occupied, which is a good thing.

    We have had a good tomato crop this year, too. I don't can, but we've enjoyed them fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, nice, nice. I might need to borrow that recipe as we have a whole garden of tomatoes. My husband received a lot of tomato plants from one of our local nursery and he planted them all. I have lots of tomato in my little home garden too and I'm going to go crazy trying to process as much as I can.

    I never used Clear Jel and I've never seen it in the stores so I'll have to look for it.

    Thanks and take care.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!