Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Watching the Corn and Beans Grow...

A couple of years ago, I did a series of post throughout the growing season, following one particular corn stalk...from seed to harvest.  You can read that series of posts here...

I decided to do it again this year...but I'm going to compare the corn and soybeans.  They were both planted on the same two days...last Monday and Tuesday (May 15 and 16).  Over the weekend, I noticed a few shoots poking through the soil, and this morning you can clearly see down the rows.

Here are the soybeans...



...and the corn...



It's clear the the first time I did this (2012) that the corn was planted earlier than this year!  The weather has so much to do with it...but by Memorial Day, which is fast approaching, the corn that year was already several inches high.  We'll see though...with the rain we just had, and the warm temps to come...it's going to grow in leaps and bounds!

7 comments:

  1. It's a great way to keep record of how fast the corn and soy grows.
    You are right , it all depends on the weather.
    I planted a few short rows of potatoes in the home garden because it's closer to dig up those first potatoes for a meal.

    My husband hasn't planted the potatoes for storage at the farm yet. There is always so much to do.

    Good luck with your crops.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the growing season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the results of your growing record, and seeing how it differs from the previous records.
    Farmers are at the mercy of the weather so much, and it will be interesting to see the differences in not only the weather in your area, but the way the crops are affected.
    Happy growing :)

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the follow up. I don't know much about soybeans. I do know about corn. What an interesting post. You always keep me interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing how fast everything grows! I know watching what I planted is amazing. It all loves the heat doesn't it? Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry and I always rejoice when the first sprouts pop up...then when the first true leaves appear it's happy dance time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can't seem to keep critters away from corn, but our beans are only slightly ahead of yours. Yes weather determines a great deal! Hope the weather stays nice for you and it grows like gang-busters 😊

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!