I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself...it's still fall, officially for another month yet. But it sure feels like winter out there this week, and the "fall" work is finished. Harvest...baling fodder...cleaning out heifer pens...winterizing the barn...all those things are finished, so we're considering projects for the winter.
Here's one that has been a long time coming.
The barn cleaner on the east side of the barn is in sad shape. Can you see how it's bending in the middle? It also has holes in it where the liquidy manure trickles down through. Manure does that...it's corrosive, and time and the elements have taken their toll...
I've done several posts where we've replaced the barn cleaner chain here and here. This time, we're replacing the whole elevator.
Jim ordered a new one from the manufacturer, and it came in two pieces. He picked it up this week...and next week when the weather is to be warmer :)...he's planning to put it in place...
I'll be taking pictures, I'm sure, and will do a post to show you what's involved. It will be a day long project. The chain will have to be completely removed....the old elevator removed, saving the motor...the new one put into place...the motor attached...and the chain replaced.
The last time we replaced an elevator (on the other side) was in March of 2009. It was my Dad's 80th birthday weekend, and the whole family had been together on Saturday. Sunday morning came, and in typical Murphy's Law fashion while Jim was cleaning out the gutters before Church, the chain caught on something and twisted the whole elevator, causing it to collapse. He scooped manure from behind the cows by hand for several weeks before a new elevator could be ordered and delivered. That was a mess. So...that's why he planned ahead for this one. Hopefully all will go well!