Friday, September 30, 2011

West Lampeter Fair...Day 4...

It's Friday night, and there's a mixed bag of emotions...

We're tired, but had a great time at the fair this week.  Tonight was a tough one, though.

You see...all of those animals that were shown at the fair, with the exception of the dairy cows and heifers, were sold tonight. Each youth sent out letters to potential buyers for their animals over the past few weeks in hopes that they would purchase their animal at tonight's youth livestock auction.  Everyone hoped that their animal would turn a profit...


Family, friends and buyers filled the stands.  First, the steers were sold...then the pigs, lambs, dairy beef and goats.  There were lots of tears.  The youth spent months caring for and training their animals, and tonight they had to say goodbye...


We're going to miss these girls!  This is how April and Dot spent many of their days...curled up together on their platform that Grandpa made.  Maybe they thought it was a throne...


Thanks for following fair week with me.  I took pictures and wrote from my perspective, but there's oh, so much more than this!  If you've never been there, mark your calendars for next September!...it will be here again before we know it!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry they are gone they will be missed. Thank you for taking us to the fair I had a lovely time. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. The animals at our county fair don't get sold. My ox, got to go to the county fair with my nephew, and then he came home to live out the rest of his days. There's no way I would have the courage to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was a wonder week. And yes there was plenty of tears as the kids took the animals through the sale ring (even one or two from mom). However, we are ever so thankful for the love and support we felt from friends, family and the buyers of the animals. And. . . before you know it, it will be time to start all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't been to the Fair in ages. I hope to go next year if the Fates allow.

    Great photos, Alica, and thanks for touching base with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great experience for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!