Friday, August 31, 2018

Silo Filling 2018

Yesterday was the day...

Jim tested corn stalks twice in the last week, and yesterday morning corn silage went into the east silo.  Jeff (the guy who chops our corn) bought a different harvester over the winter.  He always had a John Deere, and this time he bought a Claas.  Merle ( our neighbor and the man who used to chop our corn) wanted to take some video of the harvester so he hung out on the barn hill for a while...


It didn't take long at all to fill this silo as full as Jim wanted it.  Some changes are coming...soon...on our farm, and we don't need both silos to be full right now.  More on that later...but don't worry...we're good with it!



It still makes me nervous when I see Jim "run" up the ladder on the outside of the silo!  I only do it on rare occasions, and I'm shaking in my boots the whole way up...and down...


The silage is beautiful and the unloader is all set up, ready to go!  As I sit here typing, our Amish neighbors are running up and down the road with their horses/mules and empty wagons, preparing for their corn harvest.  I don't envy them that job!  What takes us a few hours can take them days, sometimes several weeks to finish.

Wishing farmers everywhere a safe and bountiful harvest!

8 comments:

  1. Adding my wishes to yours, for a safe and bountiful harvest for our farmers!

    Such a tremendous amount of work goes into what you folks do.

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful harvest, lots to be thankful for. YOur fields look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still makes me woozy looking at that ladder on the outside of the silo.
    I am so excited for you and the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will fill our trench silo with sorghum silage soon. We have an area cutter come and do it for us. We've had an overabundance of rain - 5.3" just this week - so it's on the back burner. We started cutting dryland corn last Friday. Maybe we'll get back to it next week if it ever quits raining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of rain for your area, isn't it?! We too have had a crazy summer, so far as rain goes. I think in August alone we had around 15", and July also, after a dry month of June and a horribly wet May.

      Delete
  5. When I had my horses and would stack the last bale of hay that would see us through to the first cut, I always had such a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. I am imagining it is that way with your silage. It's a busy time for farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ensilage chopping and filling has begun here also! It always starts the day after Labor Day. Such a good feeling to have full silos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss the flurry of silage cutting. We always packed it in a big pile. I miss the smell and I really miss riding in the old silage wagons, covered in warm silage on a cold winter day. Our job was push the silage out for the range cows. My how things have changed.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!