Friday, July 14, 2017

Summer Update...

I've been terribly negligent in keeping you up to date on our corn and soybeans, and you might be surprised at how tall they are now!  This is what happens in five weeks during a typical Pennsylvania summer.

I had to use live measuring devices, since they're so tall...especially the corn! It's well over my head now, and I'm 5' 5" ...



Phoebe is the measuring device for the soybeans.  (she was looking for a cat that disappeared into the field in front of her. This was in between bounces)...


Everything is growing like crazy right now.  We've had a lot of rain (another almost 2" today!) and hot, humid temps, which together make both miserable conditions for the humans and terrific growing conditions for the crops!

Jim just finished up third cutting of alfalfa last night before the rains came, so we're happily enjoying a small break in the craziness.

How's your summer going?

7 comments:

  1. Alicia,
    It does my heart good to hear your report of an awesome year for rain, crops and hay!

    We are in a severe drought. It's scary dry and fire dangers are high.

    I like the pict of you in the corn field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching the crops a lot more carefully around here, and learning a lot. Found several fields of peas and oats being harvested for forage, a new one to me. And one field of fall barley, also unusual here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your corn is high. We're having humid weather with occasional shower just to make haying difficult but the ground is bone dry. However today was a good haying day.

    We are only on our first cut and my husband has sold a lot of hay already.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alica, don't despair... I have written ten blog posts in my head in the last two weeks, and they have yet to make it to the computer! :-) You are NOT alone! Our corn and beans are looking good in Kansas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had an unbelievable amount of rain so far this summer. Crops are doing well, but a few more heat units would probably help the corn. I'm glad to see how well your crops are doing. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is why I decided to quit complaining about the heat because every thing loves to grow when its hot!!! Its amazing hot but taller every thing is than you. Everything is so pretty and green. Two inches?? Oh gosh how wonderful that would be. You have been so busy this summer. I hope you are feeling good. How is your back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing all of your green. We are so dry here in the front range if Colorado. Any low spot in our pasture or yard is the only area you will find green, except where we irrigate.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!