Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Brrr...

It finally happened...winter arrived!

We knew it was coming, but still, when that wind picked up on Sunday afternoon...brrrrrr.

After milking, we shut the barn up tight, drained water lines and watched the AFC Championship game with my sister and brother in law. Since the Eagles lost last weekend, Jim and I gladly joined the KC fan club...


It got pretty exciting there at the end, but disappointment prevailed.  I have to keep reminding myself that "it's just a football game"!  Sorry if I offended any die hard fans, but it's true!

I stayed up and checked out the lunar eclipse.  It was soooooo cold, but I think it was worth seeing!

The winds howled all night long, and we saw single digits by morning. The cold and wind combination is one thing that I will not miss after the cows are gone.  Yes, it might still be cold and windy, but we won't be trying to keep water bowls open all day long or fixing a barn cleaner in the bitter cold, or fighting with frozen corn silage! Most of those headaches fall on Jim, and he deals with them much better than I do!

Meanwhile, on the south side of the house...


All three dogs CHOSE to lay in the ivy, in the sun and out of the wind. They could have gone inside the barn, but then they might have missed some activity.  For Phoebe especially, that would have been just too boring!

Tuesday morning brought single digits again...


...but the wind had died down almost completely.  Yay! What a difference a calm day makes, even in the cold!  We had more barn cleaner problems, which took most of the day for Jim to fix, but he got it done!  I am amazed at the amount of knowledge a farmer has to have, about so many different things!

Two days later, and guess what?  Temps are in the 40's and there's rain in the forecast.  Surprise, surprise!

7 comments:

  1. Is that a giant chocolate chip cookie?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! Last year it said "Fly, Eagles Fly!"

      Delete
  2. We will gladly welcome you on the Kansas City Chiefs bandwagon. I must admit I was surprised to see that logo on your yummy-looking cookie though. I saw a meme that showed a map of the U.S. and the bulk was covered by "anyone but the Patriots." Maybe that's where you fit in after your Eagles were out? I guess I'll be watching the Super Bowl for the commercials again. Oh well!

    As I told you on Facebook, I really like that final photo. I love the lights in the windows - such a welcoming sight!

    Our weather has been a roller coaster, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I definitely fall into the "anyone but the Patriots" category! But the Chiefs are my second favorite team!

      Delete
  3. Sorry your team lost but there's always next time. That big chocolate chip cookie looks like good consolation prize... For some reason, my husband has never been a fan of sport so I never sat to watch it either. He likes politic more but I hate politic.lol.

    We had a huge storm and then a nice sunny day but today it started snowing again. You have no snow... What a difference in our climate.
    Now that we only have 2 cows and about 20 heads of young heifers, everything freezes in the barn. There are not enough cattle to keep our large barn warm. Winter can be a nightmare for farmers. I'm not missing working in the cold at all.

    We missed the eclipse because of the snowstorm.
    Take care and stay warm.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you will be glad not having to do that. OH gosh that wind. We had wind like that for an entire week. Yes, you have to know how to do everything when you are a farmer.
    I am glad its warmer for you. We might get up to 70 this weekend. I am hoping but I do doubt it. If it does I am staying outside all day. :) Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrr.. it sounds like you got an artic blast. Glad that it warmed up a bit again.
    I guess I am guilty of wishing my life away, but now that January has nearly burned out, I'm glad! One month closer to spring ~LOL!
    The dogs laying in the sunshine are so cute!
    My husband told me the other day that he misses having chickens, and then when he thinks about keeping the ice broken in the waterers, he remembers how much work taking care of animals is, esp. when it temps dip below freezing.
    Enjoy the game and happy thoughts of less work in your future :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!