Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Farm Sale...

Today was the auction of "the other farm"...the farm that has been in Jim's family for many many years.  It's the place where Jim's dad and his siblings were born...it's where Jim was brought home as a baby...it's where the cousins spent countless hours of fun together at Grandma D's house...it's where Jim and I lived when we were first married twenty five years ago...and where we've worked ground and housed our bred heifers and dry cows for just as long.

It was a beautiful day today...temps somewhere around the 40's perhaps...I didn't look, but it was pleasant to be outside visiting with family, friends and neighbors at an auction.

I took some pictures to capture the events of the day...

People came via various modes of transportation...




Looking out the kitchen window from what used to be our upstairs apartment when we were first married!  The auctioneer set up his truck in front of the barn...


There were a lot of family members, friends and neighbors who came to the auction.  Some were there for moral support, some for curiosity, and several who came to bid...






A bunch of the cousins were there...


The heifers were non the wiser, but were content to munch away on the feed.  They have no idea that in a few months, they'll have a new home.


It was a little bittersweet today.  It was time...but there are a lot of memories of "the other farm"...many more for Jim than for me, of course, but still, memories.  Memories of playing scrabble with Grandma D on winter evenings when we lived in the upstairs apartment.  Memories of the kids helping to pick up rocks in the fields before Jim would seed alfalfa...riding on the back of the grain drill...taking lunch and cold drinks (or coffee!) to him when he was baling hay or cleaning out pens.  We all helped on occasion to feed the animals or bed up the heifer pens...we pulled hay wagons back and forth between the farms...took dry cows over and brought springers back home...and the list goes on.

Now there are new owners, and it will take some getting used to, not making the daily dog-leg turn across Rt 896 and in the driveway!

9 comments:

  1. How bittersweet for your family to sell the family farm (the other farm) but I hope the new owners will do a good job and be good neighbours.
    We have someone coming to look at our cattle next week but the price for cows has gone so low here.

    There seems to be a lot of farmers in your area. We are the only ones left for miles around and we are situated in a flood zone.

    Wow, the grass is still green where you live.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it did go to great, new owners. Hard for your family, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at the sale when my grandmother's farm sold... I could not afford to buy anything...I got one candy dish from her collection of glass, (it was cracked and mended)... but it was hard to see the memories going down the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very sorry. There is nothing I hate more than the end of an era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry, I know this was so hard. You have such a nice attitude about it. I admit to wanting to just weep. God be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it was sad to see it go but a farmer bought it and it won't be torn down and a store built there with concrete all around to park your car. carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart goes out to you and your family.
    Change is always hard.
    I admire your positive can~do attitude.

    Warm wishes.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, this is so sad. I guess it was time, as you say, but time for endings is never something one wants to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The end of an era, how bittersweet. This is my first visit here, I popped over from Coffee On The Porch With Me.

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!