Wednesday, July 25, 2018

A Bright Spot In a Dreary Week...

Let's face it...too much of one kind of weather gets old, no matter how much you've needed said weather...

Earlier this spring we had ten days straight of rain, resulting in +-7 inches of rain and soggy fields.  Crops were planted late, first cutting of hay was late, but eventually it all worked out.

Then we had several weeks straight of hot, dry weather, resulting in stressed crops and worried farmers.

This week we've had four days or so of rain, resulting in +- 6 more inches of rain.  I don't want to be a complainer, because in the long run, all the rain is great for the water table!  Needless to say, it's been a little frustrating.  "Feast or famine, so the saying goes". 

The rain lilies, however, are quite thrilled! 

Yesterday...


Today...


Their true name is Zephyr Lilies, but we call them rain lilies because they push up shoots and bloom right after a heavy rain.  You can trick them into thinking it's rained, by dumping a bucket...yes, a whole bucket full...of water over them every few days.  In the fall, you just take them to the basement before the first hard frost and forget about them until spring!

They are a bright spot on these dreary days!


7 comments:

  1. Oh neat! I've never heard of those kinds of lilies before. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of those lilies before. I think they are just great. They look so pretty. Thank you for stopping by my new blog. I am still trying to figure out things. I still haven't figured out how to make the curser move. I will learn though,and I can see you leave comments, I just don't know how if when I leave you one if it will just stay on my blog or come to you. Sheesh. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool I have never heard of them. I am loving our rain but it is true too much of a good thing. We have never had that much rain yet. It would certainly fill our ponds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of these type of lilies, but they sound like the type of flower I could keep alive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! Those are really cool! I think I would like to have some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so neat!! That's the first I've heard of them! Edy and I were just talking about this extreme weather and how we don't really want to complain but ... It can be hard not to sometimes 😉 Have a great day enkenjoy the sun today!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers!

    It is hard not to grumble at times, tho it sure comes easily for me... LOL! We are grumbling about the extreme heat and smoky skies out here in Utah this summer.
    Looking forward to Autumn and thunderstorms and cool nights.

    Have a happy day.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!