Monday, June 6, 2016

The Progression of a Barley Field...

Just for fun, I've taken a picture weekly for the past few weeks, of our barley field.  It's fascinating to watch how it's turning from green...

May 22, 2016
...to a little less green...

May 30, 2016
...to almost golden...in just a few short weeks!

June 6, 2016
We'll soon be baling straw!

I have to tell you a story about something that happened to this barley field over the weekend...

It was Saturday evening, and we had just finished up the barn work and were getting ready for supper, when a neighbor pulled in our driveway. He lives next to this barley field that we rent.  He told us that there were several cars pulled off the road next to the field, and people were tromping through the field, stomping down the barley, taking videos and setting up lawn chairs.  What?!!  When confronted, the young people said that the police had already been there, and that they had permission to be in the field.  What?!!  When someone told them that they shouldn't be in the field...that they would damage the grain, they replied "there's so much there that it won't matter!"  What?!!

Of course when we got there, they were back along the road, with their big expensive looking camera and denied that they'd ever been in the field. What?!!  By now, several neighboring families were out in their driveways watching things unfold, and the young folks hopped in their cars and left. What were they thinking?!!  I know I should give them grace...and they did leave without doing any more damage, but I'm still shaking my head in disbelief, trying to understand.

We have wonderful neighbors, and it's reassuring to know that we look out for each other!

13 comments:

  1. Let's go to their house, drive in their yard, park and set up a picnic. We'll take pictures and hang around a bit. See how long it takes until we get hauled off in handcuffs or at minimum have a fine slapped on us....arghhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to do these progression shots, too. I usually put Randy in the field with corn. I'm sorry about the free-for-all in your field. Really??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would make me a little upset too. The farmers around here have the same problems. Only here it is in the orchards and people taking whole blooming limbs from the trees in the spring. I love seeing your pictures of how fast your fields change as the season changes. I hope you don't have any more city slickers coming in to damage your fields. I am afraid though, with social media it might be a "thing."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Young folks aren't being taught respect for other people's things or trespassing on property. Taking photos from the side of the road is one thing, but tramping though the field is terrible. Sorry, hope too much damage wasn't done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that was VERY bizarre! Even in the heart of the country! I am so careful when out taking pictures not to go into anyone's fields or yard... so this is so strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why in the world would they do that? Surely they have somewhere else to hang out?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, because such things are beyond our comprehension, all one can do is wonder what on earth is going on, how do some people think they way they do, behave the way they do? Sadly it happens all too often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is with people! I just don't get it. When I grew up my parents ran and huge orchard, people would always come and steal the apples. Grrr. Now people steal from the sweet corn fields and help themselves to sacks of onions and potatoes.

    To drive out into the barley field and sit there trampling down the grain, just made my farmer's heart hurt.

    I'm sorry for your crop! But thankful for your neighbors!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos-wow its so neat to see the change-and its sort of startling. Just like it would be to find those people in right in the middle of all your hard work! Good grief looks like anyone would know better than that : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was telling my oldest daughter about this incident and she told me that there are several country and western songs out about 'partying in the farmer's fields...tearing up the crop with their dodge ram trucks, having a good time ripp'n through the land'----
    WHAT a bunch of malarkey! Songs like that encourage that sort of action. I think those people must have been acting out the song. I'm so glad your neighbor called you and you got it stopped. Those people should be responsible to repay you the cost of the damage!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. If they only knew how much work goes into preparing the land, planting the crop, hoping for good weather, harvesting, hoping for a good price... Sometimes people are thoughtless. Your field looks lovely, though. I like seeing how it changes. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. It makes me so bad when people think they can just treat any property like it is their own. We always have trouble in the fall. Once we had people cut our fence so they could drive four wheelers on our property!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!