Friday, August 28, 2015

Silo Filling 2015...

It's the first week of school here, and so it must be time to fill silo!

It's this kind of a day today...


The corn is really tall this year, and the ears are higher than my head...between 5' 6" and 6' high.  I didn't measure to the top of the stalk, but all that rain early this season sure made the corn grow!


The corn at the other farm has been testing drier than here at home, so this morning the guys started by filling the tile silo...



Headed out to the field for the first round...



I relaxed on an empty hay wagon and watched until they came in with the first full load...


They just finished the other farm, and started here at home about fifteen minutes ago.  The corn here is a little wetter, and Jim's checking to see he wants them to continue, or wait a few days to let it dry down some more.

While they were filling at the other farm, I made a second batch of salsa.   We were completely out from last year, so I'm glad to have about twenty jars to put on my canning shelves.

I know I haven't been posting much lately, but it's been a little crazy here...

...We took Eric to college yesterday, and he's settling in.  I got a nice happy birthday text from him this afternoon!  :)

...Jenna and I made a couple of trips in search of a better violin for her.  Last week it was to Philadelphia, and she thinks she's finally found the one she likes!  School also started for her, as well as cross country practice, so now both of our evening barn helpers are gone!  A couple of neighbor kids are filling in the evening slots especially over our busy time.

Jim's Uncle Ray...who wrote several blog posts for me...here and here...passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday afternoon.  He had been ill, but no one expected it to happen at this time.  He and Aunt Marilyn live at the other farm, so we would see him often...out mowing the yard, working in his garden, sitting on the porch, etc.  He turned 81 one over this past weekend, and celebrated his birthday with his grandson, who turned 12 just one day later.  He will be missed!

Uncle Ray and his grandson this past Sunday, celebrating their birthdays... (photo thanks to his wonderful daughter in law)


So...a lot has been happening here.  It would be nice if life would just slow down a little and we could take a deep breath.

If you figure out how to make that happen...let me know!

10 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry about Uncle Ray.HUGS
    Oh watching your children grow and move away is something that takes some getting used to. I am glad Jenna found the perfect violin she is so very talented.
    Love that shot between the rows it is fantastic. Slow down I wish I had that secret too:) HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so sorry on the loss of your uncle. i do love your tile silo, though. :) happy harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous corn. Best wishes for a successful harvest. Your cows will thank you with plenty of milk. Happy birthday and so sorry for the loss of your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your uncle. He looks like a great guy. I always like it when you start filling your Silos. Fall will be here before you know it. I loved that tunnel of silage. Awesome. It made me want to run down that like I used to when I was a kid.
    You have been busy. I hope you had a lovely birthday.
    I haven't been able to figure out that slowing down that you speak of yet. Have a lovely weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have been a busy lady, I've been so busy here too and I totally understand. Sometimes we get stretch very thin and just can't stretch anymore and need to take priorities.

    I'm so sorry about the sudden passing of Jim's uncle. I'm sure he will be missed and leave a big hole in your community.

    Wow your corn is high. We are still doing second cut and had a good stretch of weather. They announced rain and it was raining all around us but not here. Everything was so dry...We got a heavy rainfall on Wednesday or Thursday. I can't even remember... isn't that awful....

    I have another 4 batches of Lady Ashburnham Pickles in a brine soaking for 24 hours. I donated 4 large boxes of cucumbers to the church and the ladies make pickles for the Fall supper and for selling. There are still a lot of cucumbers in the garden so there probably will be more pickles in my future. If you google Lady Ashburnham pickles you will probably find it. They are very tasty.

    Take care and enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB





    ReplyDelete
  6. Time does fly. I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to believe my best friend's son is off to college. I'm sure it is a difficult transition. I wish I could say my corn was tall. It isn't even up to my neck here. Don't know why it is so short. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alica, I am so very sorry for your uncle's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia,

    Hope corn chopping/silo filling continues to go well.

    I got home from NE this afternoon and decided to check on my tomatoes. I picked lots of cherry tomatoes and 4 or 5 small slicers. My peppers are starting to turn too. Mom sent me home with some cucumber and cabbage from her garden.

    Happy school days to your kiddos. Hope they have a great year. My Mom said it was like an amputation to the family when I went to college. Sounds like you know the feeling.

    I am sorry to hear about your Uncle Ray. May your family find peace and healing in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!