Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Brand New Baby...

I just had to share this with you today!

This morning we noticed that one of our springers was about to give birth to her second calf, over at the other farm.  So Jim hooked up the cow trailer, and we went over and brought her home.  We put her in the outside pen, with some fresh bedding, and waited...


And waited...

Jim and I both had to go away, but I was only gone for a short time.  When I came home, the first thing I did was peek in on the cow.  I wish I would've had my camera in my hand right then, because she was literally in the end stages of having her calf!  I made sure she was ok, and ran and got my camera.  

Here she is...barely five minutes old, and still wet...


And in case you wondered how those calves go from being all wet and slimy, to being soft and fluffy and clean, here it is!  Make sure you turn up the volume!


Mom will be cleaning her baby for a while yet...and I'd bet that in about thirty minutes or so, her calf will be up tottering around.  

It's always such an incredible thing to witness!

What a beautiful day to be born!

15 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Alica! So glad he's okay and what a beautiful baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat. Love to see new births.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another little girl calf, how neat!! Yep, soon she will be all fluffy and soft and wobbling around by her mom! Love babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a miracle every single time. I love how cute he/she looks.
    I love baby calves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sooo neat what a cutie

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter how many times we witness birth it still is a miracle, isn't it. Good looking mamma and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! What a cutie, and a good mama too getting her calf cleaned up. Our first calves are due until later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, so precious! Her first bath, a tongue licking! That must be so exciting when it is time for all of the calves to be born. I would love to see that...never have seen it in person..just on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any day is a good day to be born, but she's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute. My kids enjoyed seeing the baby cow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet-and funny all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job Alica on that video. I'm always in awe whenever a new calf is born. They are always so big and weigh around 90 pounds and sometimes more and they get up and walk soon after.

    Congratulations on the new baby. Thanks for visiting my blog. I need to put you on my blog roll but never seem to have enough time and then I forget. JB

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!