Thursday, December 9, 2010

Soup weather...

Brrrrrr....

That's all I can say this week!

Just call me a cold weather wimp, but I'm not exactly looking forward to winter...and it's not even COLD yet!  I guess we've been rather spoiled by a mild fall, and the below freezing temps and the wind blow right through me! 

Last week I swapped all the summer clothes for winter clothes, brought the hats and gloves out of hibernation, and began to shiver.

One thing I do like about winter, though, is making soup.  There's just something cozy about coming in from evening milking and having some warm soup for supper.  

Here's a recipe for a hearty, delicious, healthy soup that we had for supper last night.  ( I'm not sure how we got so lucky to have kids that not only tolerate, but LIKE lentils, but I'll take 'em!)

Lentil Soup

2 cups dried lentils
7 cups water
1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery
3 Tbsp. minced parsley (sometimes I skip this)
1 garlic clove, minced

 Heat to boiling in large saucepan.  Simmer for  1 1/2 hours

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 c. canned tomatoes
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Add and simmer 30 minutes more

Yield: 8 servings

* I have a kettle called a quick cooker...it's kind of like a fast cooking crockpot...I dump the 1st set of ingredients together and bring them to a boil, then add the rest, bring it to a boil again, and then turn it way down, put the lid on, and go out to the barn.  In about 1 1/2 hours it's ready to eat, and I don't have to stand over it the whole time!

Enjoy, and stay warm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!