Monday, October 22, 2018

Picking Corn 2018...

The corn in the fields is drying down, and it's time for picking and combining. 

Jim spent time over the weekend setting up the corn elevator at the empty corn crib.  It's challenging to get it set up perfectly, so that the corn goes directly through the small hole at the top of the corn crib, and not down over the sides and on to the ground.



This is the hole at the top of the corn crib.  The metal disc you see hanging below it, is a spreader.  When the corn falls into the crib, it first hits the spreader and does just that...spreads around so that the crib fills up evenly.


For example...



It's a fabulous day today.  Beautiful.  Perfect.  What more can I say, but that we finally have a beautiful fall day with little breeze, no rain, blue sky and perfect temperatures for working outside without breaking a sweat or freezing your fingers!  Yay!


The ears are of varying sizes.  These were from the edge of the field, in a low, wet spot. Hopefully the majority of the ears, which are from prime soil, are of the larger variety!


It's days like this that make farming fun! 

5 comments:

  1. It was fun to see your process. It looks like a well-oiled machine to get this job done.

    We had a beautiful day here today, too. The vet preg-checked and vaccinated a group of 25 heifers. We were all in short sleeves! The only downside was whacking my arm. I am going to have a bruise. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brings back good memories. I love corn picking. I'm glad you are having blue bird weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy for you to have a great day in which to fill the corn cribs!
    My sweet hubby remarked how surprised he was to see that one of our local farmers hadn't yet harvested his corn.
    Then, we saw that the corn field was still standing because it was being used as part of a Harvest Fun field... **smile**.
    Hope he gets it harvested before the snow flies :)

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing that. I am so glad you had a perfect day. I was wondering do you think you will miss it? I keep thinking about you. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a perfect day for harvesting your corn. The weather has been so erratic. I hope you can fill the corn crib to the top. We no longer harvest corn as the crops were being destroyed by raccoons and birds.
    I hope that you can relax now that the corn has been harvested.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! Thanks for your comments!